Saturday, August 16, 2008

the nightmares begin.....

I’ve been pretty lame about posting here in my blog. I have to admit that with it being only 19 days away, my mind is pretty consumed with my upcoming trip to the UK and France. I have even started to have those “before a big trip” nightmares where my flight leaves in less than 2 hours and I am not even packed yet, AND the ride to the airport takes at least 3 hours, and bears keep getting into the house to attack me.

Oh, if only it were that easy! I have chosen to only bring my backpack, since I like carrying that around as opposed to dragging a suitcase about but I swear deciding what to pack has become a hell unto itself. Everyone keeps telling me “the weather there is a lot like here”. Yeah…that helps. NOT! September in Vancouver? The temperature could get anywhere from 14C to 25C. It could be sunny or it could be torrential downpours, but hey, thanks for the tip!

The guy at the travel store, who was a fountain of information I might add, attempted to give me some packing advice as well. He suggested 3 shirts, one that I would be wearing, one that would be dirty and awaiting hand washing in some sink somewhere and a spare. I simply stood there staring back at him speechless, that “deer caught in the headlights” look overcoming my face. Then he also suggested only 2 pairs of shoes. TWO! I KNOW! At this point I gave him my best quirked brow and simply said, “I am female AND single!”. I thought that explanation was explanation enough (it would be for any female out there) but he didn’t get the point. I assumed he’d never ever had any interactions with females at all in his life…60 year old virgin popped into my head. But then he told me he and his wife did 3 months of Africa with only their carry-ons. Freaks!

So I have if down to 5 pairs of shoes and simply cannot cull it down any further. I refuse. Mind you one pair is flip flops for the showers, since we are staying in hostels and will be sharing said showers with people from all over the world and all their wacky foreign foot germs. But really…runners, boots in case of torrential downpours, a nicer pair of runners and a dressy pair of sandals. That’s it! Oh the sacrifice….To be honest I would like to bring my nice high heeled boots, ya know, for that trip down the Champs Elysées. Have to look stylish there. I wonder if they rent little died pink poodles with diamond collars….

So anyways this weekend I am planning a packing rehearsal, to determine exactly all what I can cram into my backpack and what all has to sadly stay behind. I also have more planning to do, mapping out how to get from the Chunnel station to our hotel in Paris, because I will not end up paying $45 for a 2 block cab ride cuz I have no idea where I am. Happened to a friend of mine. Sheesh. The things you have to watch out for.

So I may be scarce here on my blog til I am ready to leave. Right now I may attempt that packing rehearsal…if only the bears will leave me alone!

7 comments:

Donnie said...

FIVE pairs of shoes? How big is this backpack that we are talking about? lol

And don't worry. You know I have complete and total faith in you and your ability. Make the backpack into a purse and then you can cram all of the stuff you will need into it...lol.

She Spy said...

Now now Donnie. Don't mess with a woman and her shoes ;)

I've seen her back pack. Trust me when I say it's a small piece of luggage!

And by all means...DON'T mess with a womans purse either!

HEHEHE

You'll be fine Bonnie. Once you are there you'll wonder why you fused so much. Enjoy yourself and have a great time :)

Bella said...

am pondering a manservant at this point.....

der Erlkonig said...

You're weather comment is pretty spot on...it can be cold needing a coat or warm and not...one thing I STRONGLY recommend is either a zipped up hoodie and/or an umbrella odds are you WILL need it. For the UK at least.

Bella said...

Okay so I might be back up to 6 with the shoes

and yep...I am going with layering...-nods-...hoodies, long sleeved tops. etc.

Bella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pensive said...

-is simply laughing here-