Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Weekend Get-Away – Lessons Learned Part 1

1) When you own two pairs of boots that are the same, one pair in brown and one in black, make sure to do your packing in a well lit area so as to avoid packing one brown and one black boot…unless you are feeling ambitious enough to attempt a new fashion trend.

Yes this happened and I realized, at work, two hours before my bus was leaving. >.< At least I work in an office of all women who believe that life, health and wellness comes before work, and my boss was the one that ordered me to leave work and go home to make the change. (I can’t EVER see this happening with a male boss…lol) A frantic bus ride home then taxi ride BACK downtown to the station and all was well on that front…whew.

2) When the extremely ill humoured and unfriendly US border guard asks what your occupation is, lie.

Apparently they find it difficult to believe that you can actually get paid to raise money for a charity and that it really IS your job and will continue to barrage you with inane questions while you try desperately not to roll your eyes and keep a pleasant, yet slightly vacant look on your face.

----------------------------

So this past weekend I took the bus to Seattle to meet up with my cousin Jeff, and the next morning we would head out to Portland by car. Friday night we spent a pleasant evening at a really nice restaurant, having dinner with an online friend of mine, Jon. Great food, great drinks and great company, it was the perfect evening. It was also great to actually meet someone I’ve only known through the computer, I hope to meet more someday!

The next morning we headed on out, going the long way to see Mt. St. Helen’s along the way. Some of the better look-out points were still closed due to ice and snow which in turn was due to our unnaturally cold spring. (TONS of snow…it was piled almost as high as the car in some parts.) But we had some amazing views and I am sharing the pics below. (when I get home and them uploaded later tonight)

3) Don’t count on seeing what ya wanna…lol

I kinda got skunked this trip in a couple ways. I have wanted to see the Carousel museum for literally years and wouldn’t you know it, the weekend I finally get to go it was closed because they are in the process of relocating. I have also wanted to see the Tulip Festival and although it was on, the tulips have yet to bloom due to, once again our unnaturally our cold sprin. (lots of angry tourists abound…lol) But I am anxious to go back to Portland VERY soon and the museum is as good an excuse as any.

On the way we ate a lunch in Olympia, a pleasant enough town, though I learned my debit card does not work at point of sale, only in the ATM’s…oops. The weather was perfect, very warm and sunny, a truly perfect day! We arrived in Portland later that afternoon, checked into our swanky hotel and made our way out for a drink, then to Old Town Pizza where we would enjoy their house special and meet up with our guide for our ghost tour. Again the night was warm and balmy, making it a perfect night to wander about downtown Portland and all its old historical buildings for some ghostly fun.

**Stay tuned for part 2, ghostly encounters!


For more pics click here

3 comments:

Pensive said...

Sounds like fun though.. so glad you got to go.. and you got to see Jon?.. kewlness.. I hope you gave him a hug for me, too.. -nods-.. isn't that beautiful country!.. but I know where you're at it's beautiful too.

Bella said...

I had a great time! I love Portland so much. I gave Jon a hug AND gave the pig at Pike place a pet for ya...lol

Pensive said...

w00t!.. thanks darlin.. I knew I could count on you.. -winks and hugs-